2.10.2009

A Good and Happy Outfit


Today's outfit courtesy of Red, White and Blue thrift. Well, the dress at least... the cardigan may as well have been. I got it on such a season-end sale that it felt like a crime! Booties are from Apt. 9.

Jeeze, even in black, the "slenderizing color", my calves are ginormous and tank-like. Damn the family legs! The first 25 years of my life I hated, covered and cursed those calves. Now, I have accepted them... embraced them almost. I try to think of it this way: I could definitely pick my calves out in a line-up! Cankles or tankles, whatever, they're mine.

Last Thursday evening I spent a couple of leisurely hours in the book store. I landed on a book I'd never heard of: A Good and Happy Child, by Justin Evans. Anyone ever read this book before? Well, I am totally loving it and can't keep my nose out of it. I was reading in bed last night and one minute I was nodding off and the very next I was wide-eyed having to slow my reading down so I didn't miss anything. The book plays on the contrast and similarities between psychological disorders and demon possession. I love scary movies, so scary books are not a huge leap. This is turning out to be more creepy and less scary, but great all the same. If you are interested in finding out more, go to the author's website here. And if you are anything like me and completely fascinated by anything paranormal, please read this on the ULTIMATE (and only in my opinion) scary movie: The Exorcist. This article reveals unknown truths and shows that maybe it's not so terrifying after all.

Today's Useless Trivia:
There are several theories about the origin of the term "Ouija". The Oxford English Dictionary states that the origin is unknown, but mentions three possibilities. According to one of these, the word is derived from the French "oui" (for "yes") and the German "ja" (also for "yes"). An alternative story suggests that the name was revealed to inventor Charles Kennard during a Ouija séance and was claimed to be an Ancient Egyptian word meaning "good luck". It has also been suggested that the word was inspired by the name of the Moroccan city Oujda.

1 comment:

Andrea Eames said...

I love the cardi! I'm a complete wuss when it comes to scary things, could never watch a horror film.