4.10.2009

STOP. Hammer Time!

Remember the awesome stirrup MC Hammer style pants from the 80's? Still have them? Pass a pair at the thrift store? Well, pick them up because you can easily turn them into one of Spring 09's best looks. Harrem pants...


As sighted on the runway by Refinery 29 in the following Spring '09 shows from left to right: Yigal Azrouƫ, Proenza Schouler, Phi, Ralph Lauren

And of course a pair from Topshop that I modeled my own after. How could you NOT want a pair of these. They just look perfect for summer. Loose yet sexy when worn correctly. Comfort and style all in one. I made mine short, but if I get an opportunity to make a second pair I am definitely going full length. The harem pants, much like the skinny jeans for me, were a bit of an acquired taste. At the first sight I must admit I was horrified for a second, but in an instant they grew on me. Now, I can't imagine my wardrobe without them.

So, pick up a pair of delicious 80's stirrup pants and bust out the sewing machine. It's time to breath new life into those old things!

Here's what you're going to need: Pins, 1" wide elastic (or wider), seam ripper (in case), scissors and fabric dye if necessary. I chose a black expecting to get a charcoal. If you choose a dark color and want it to be very saturated you will need to buy two packs of dye.

The toolbox. I happened to have most of these things lying around, including the dye which I happened to buy recently to buy a sweater I bought years ago. I couldn't stand to look at that ugly pastel magenta for another minute. I don't know what possessed me to buy a color like that in the first place, but that's besides the point. It's grey now.

Here are your instructions, let me know if you have any issues reading them.








More than half way there!!!


(Actually this is incorrect... the stirrup pants were $1... I had a momentary lapse... it was the jumper I bought with them that was $2.50)

And the finished product... (drumroll please!)


Today's Useless Trivia:
Harem comes from the Arabic Harim which literally means forbidden and sanctuary. Merriam Webster Dictionary defines harem as:
1 a: a usually secluded house or part of a house allotted to women in a Muslim household b: the wives, concubines, female relatives, and servants occupying a harem
2: a group of women associated with one man
3: a group of females associated with one male —used of polygamous animals

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

totally loving your creations. those pants look incredible on you!

LadyRed said...

Thanks Tiffany, I'm pretty proud of this one myself. In fact, I think there are a couple more pairs there with my name on them!