4.16.2009

An Apology to My Peeps

I haven't done a post on actual art in a while, and today afforded me the perfect opportunity.

On Easter Sunday I made a remark on this blog that got me into some hot water with my BFF, and now I am eating my words!! I casually noted in my Useless Trivia that there are only 60 million chocolate bunnies consumed each Easter compared to 600 million Peeps. I simply inquired to my audience how that could have been possible... I find myself to be in such a landslide situation when it comes to choosing chocolate over marshmellow that the opposite is inconceivable. It still floores me. In any case, my BFF showed me the light. She does not stand alone in her love of the marshmellow-y spring colored gelatanous confections. I am sad I didn't know about this beforehand... I might not like to eat Peeps, but I would certainly enjoy making a diorama out of them. Behold: Photos from the second annual Peeps Diorama Contest. This is the winner:
The Tomb of King Peepankhamun
Laura Sillers, 22, of Potomac Maryland
And my personal favorites:
Nightmare in Pink
Peter Byers of Arlington Virginia
Amy Winepeep
Karen Besser, 58, of Arlington and daughter Nina Besser, 23, of Fairfax Virginia
Peep Art
Jane Dokko of Washington DC
I think it's time for me to start drafting ideas for next year. I certainly won't miss out on this again!!! Please, please check the rest out, they are all so awesome... don't worry, there is 37 shown out of the 800 contestants.
Today's Useless Trivia:
Peeps are produced by Just Born, a candy manufacturer based in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Peeps were introduced nationally in 1958 by Pravin Pant Sr., a Nepali immigrant. When Just Born acquired Rodda Candy Company in 1953, they automated the process (originally the chicks were formed by hand) and mass-produced them. The yellow chicks were the original form of the candy — hence their name — but then the company introduced other colors and, eventually, the myriad shapes in which they are now produced.

4 comments:

noone said...

I used to make dioramas in school but they were never as cool as these ones!! awesome :)

lgiove said...

I <3 peeps! :)

LadyRed said...

You know, it really drives me nuts when someone says they dislike a food they haven't tried. Technically I am not a hypocrite because I have tried Peeps before, but it was so many moons ago they might be worth another whirl.

MaReRe said...

I love Peeps when they are stale instead of mushy fresh. Not crunchy, but chewy. So I have to by them early and eat them after Easter. Your Diorama would be great, I just know it. Can't wait till 2010.