2.26.2010

To Pixie or not to Pixie

As you may have noticed, I'm a short hair junkie. I went from long hair to chin length in college and never looked back. In fact, it seems to just get shorter and shorter. Recently I decided I was over inches-long hair, and needed a change. It was time to grow it out. Because I have the luxury of a cousin doing my hair I get to say my stylist knows me extremely well. The first thing he said when I told him I was going to grow it out was, "You know that is going to drive you crazy right?". I knew he was right, but insisted I was up for the challenge. I was sure that thinking every day of the ever adorable Christina Ricci bob with bangs as my goal would get me through. Well, here I am with hair to my jawline and I am, well, crazy. I can't take it anymore! I'm contemplating chopping it off... especially with a newborn in tow. The ease of the style is simply intoxicating. So here is my inspiration: A pixie a la Alice in Wonderland, aka Mia Wasikowska or Ginnifer Goodwin. Perhaps a hybrid of the two, I think Ginnifer's may be a bit long in the front.

Whatever I decide and whenever I take the plunge I will be sure to include before and afters!
Today's Random Trivia:
Encyclopedia.com inorms that a single woman may have started the short hair trend of the 1920's. Her name was Mary Garden. Her reasoning stands true for me today: "Bobbed hair is a state of mind and not merely a manner of dressing my head... I consider getting rid of our long hair one of our many little shackles that women have cast aside in their passage to freedom."
Consider how much time you spend on your hair each day... imagine if you were liberated from all of that time. How lovely.

5 comments:

Julia M said...

Pixie hair's amazing! I went from elbow length hair to chin length when I was 15, but it was only last year I had it all sheared into a pixie crop and I'm never going back! It's very liberating and stress free :)

LadyRed said...

Thanks Julia! I'm definitely looking forward to it! I need something that is stress free and low maintenance!

Unknown said...

The pixie crop is going to be very very hot this season. Looking at young style setters Mia, you can certainly see why. Our salon is bracing for it when the weather warms up.

daleypie said...

do it!

LadyRed said...

Richard

Where is your salon located? I'm glad to hear it will be hot... I was afrad the bang had taken over!

Daleypie

I think I shall my friend! I think I shall...