3.17.2009

Platinum Locks and Summer Frocks...

Summertime is synonymous with platinum hair and lots of pretty dresses.  I somehow believe that if I go super-blonde early in the spring, the warm weather is sure to follow.  Meaning the boots can go into storage and all of my pretty summer dresses can come out to play.  Being a Cancerian I feel I am at my best during the hot summer season... I feel most creative and less stressed.  I think that can be attributed partially to the insomnia I get this time of year.  I just can't sleep, but instead of stirring in the sack I usually end up hitting the sketchbook, making plans for whatever project I think I'll start at dawn.

Here are the dresses I have been oozing over today, and after my latest project I feel confident I will be able to make some of these.  What project?  Last week between moving to Maryland and flying to Florida for a visit I managed to make time to sew a purse.  I just wanted something that was black in color and big enough to hold my camera and other array of items that end up in my purse.  It also needed to go across my chest as a shoulder bag so that I could have my hands free and feel secure going through the airport.  I managed to sew it, but I didn't manage to get any pics posted... I don't have copies of them at the moment though, so they are soon to follow.  For now, the dresses I'll dream about tonight:
     
Find this great 70's dress here at Market Publique.

     
A la Urban Outfitters.

This next dress is my new fave Mexico pic.  It's the perfect dress for the event, appropriate in design while staying true to my vintage sense of style.  And oh how much I love the little red accents.  

Find this cute dress here at BettyPageClothing.com 

And right after I stumbled on that I found the ultimate Mother-load of my ideal-favorite-bury-me-in-this dress.  It is breathtaking, and it isn't even designer, it has a stock store label. Luckily it has already been sold so I won't suffer sleepless nights dreaming of a night in Vegas wearing this dress.  Who am I kidding?  I am scarred now, and to be honest, a little sad I may never own this, but I digress.


Courtesy of Posh Girl Vintage... click here to see the depressing details.

Summer can't get here soon enough.  I am also on the hunt for the perfect vintage or vintage inspired swimsuit for my Mexico trip.  I can't decide whether I want a one piece or a bikini... here's a couple I've found so far, both of which are authentic vintage:
I found both of these suits at my new favorite site... click here to check it out.

Today's Useless Trivia:
By definition antique means objects produced in previous times that are valuable because they are rare.  Technically, in the United States, it means an item that is as least 100 years old, especially where furniture is concerned.  By European standards, an item is only considered to be antique if it was made before 1832, and the Industrial Revolution when items were still made by hand.  While items made since these times can still be considered valuable, they are not considered antique.  Instead, they are called vintage, period, or antique items.  There is also a category called collectable which may be any age at all.  What makes it collectable is appreciations of value since the item was purchased.

2 comments:

MaReRe said...

You would look get in any of these!

Q's Daydream said...

Wonderful dresses!!! You moved to Maryland!? Thats where I was born and raised!!! :o)