3.14.2009

Out of Jet Fuel

So, I'm in Florida visiting the best In-Laws a gal could have.  Having a grand 'ole time... well today at least.  Thursday and Friday were pretty miserable.  The Hubs and I arrived Wednesday morning and went straight to the beach.  You could pick us out in the crowd; the fair-skinned morons asleep in the sand without sunscreen.  Yeah, I did that. I haven't had a sunburn so bad and painful in my whole life.  I am ashamed and I am still plagued with guilt and anger towards myself... mostly because I can't forget when the left side of my face is covered in blisters.  Not my whole cheek though, I was 'fortunate' enough to have been wearing giant over sized sunglasses that protected a good portion of my face and left me with designer raccoon lines.  If it weren't my face, I would be laughing it is so ridiculous.  It made me realize that maybe I am more vain than I would like to admit... not that I would ever call myself a vain person, but I guess feeling hideous humbled me in a way.  I'm lucky to have a husband who is so attentive and thoughtful when I am sick... he was all over the aloe and aspirin.  Just so you know I'm not exaggerating:
Add Image

I know it's blurry, but within the blur you will see the truth in sunburn.  Honestly, I have never experienced sunburn like this before.  My legs still feel swollen, and it's three days later.  On thursday I could barely even stand, the rush of blood to my legs felt like a throbbing that went through and intensified at the core of my shin bones.  Has anyone ever experienced this before?  It was excruciating.

So, my location in connection with the title of Today's blog means I'm really missing my little doggie boy.  My Mom said he is sitting by the window staring out all the live long day, which just breaks my heart.  My husband and I always say it's so tough on us because we know that he can't understand what a vacation is and whether we are coming back... we reason that at least a child would understand.  But who are we kidding?  A child, because they can understand, can look up and say, "Don't go."  Now that must be heartbreaking.

Tomorrow a Yankee pre-season game against the Twins. Yay.

Yesterday we went golfing.  My husband and Father-In-Law went golfing rather.  Mom and I drove around on the golf cart and gawked at the amazing houses... and the cute cows.  You can tell from her expression that she is suspicious of me.



Here's a fun shot of the Hubs at his best... sort of.  He hasn't played in about five years, so I don't think his game was where he wanted it to be.



But he still looked cute.  This coming Wednesday we are going again and I think I'm going to take a crack at golf myself.  I will confess, openly in fact, that I have absolutely no athletic skill at all.  I'm Artist in Red, not Athlete in Red.  Every time I try I pretty much make an ass of myself, so we'll see about the golf.

Today's Useless Trivia: In honor of the task at hand:

The Maryland Real Estate Commission consists of 9 members; 5 licensed Realtors and 4 consumer members, each appointed by the Governor.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh ouch! I'm glad you have aloe'd up!! I have such fair skin that i get burnt going between areas of shade - seriously!!

Andrea Eames said...

Oh wow, that's a dreadful sunburn! Ouch. Hope it soothes soon. :)

Thanks for the suggestion of the online group - it did occur to me, but there are a number of problems. I'd really want to discuss my work with other writers whose work I respected, which would mean that I would need to know them to some degree, and there are issues of copyright as well - since I am trying to publish my work, having it available to a group on the web would present some problems. The plan at the moment is to try and create a 'real-life' group here in NZ. :)

Good luck with the golf! I'll be impressed if you manage to hit the ball, that's more than I've ever been able to do.