10.31.2008

Things to Covet

Since childhood I have intently coveted a train case passed down from my Great Grandmother, to my Grandmother and eventually to my Mother. Finally, after twenty years of waiting it has been passed down to me. With an affinity for both family and all things vintage, this train case makes me happy on the most basic of levels. I keep my make-up in it so that I can enjoy it everyday... somewhere my Great Grandmother is appreciating this. Daily I wonder if I have any items that my future (and obviously non-existent) great grandchildren will use and adore.

Even though it wasn't originally owned by my Grandmother, it has passed through her hands. Even with a baby on her lap, which happens to be my Mother, she is stunning in a stylish dress, brooch and diamond earrings. Looking at old photographs of my Grandmother with her perfectly coiffed hair and striking smile I imagine her pulling her red lipstick from the very same train case.

Today's Useless Trivia:
A group of twelve or more cows is called a Flink.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully spoken!

Andrea Eames said...

Oh, gorgeous! I have been coveting a steam-trunk of my grandmother's for ages ... my Dad uses it as a TV table. Sacrilege! I think I would use it to house my scarf collection. :D

Andrea xx

Anonymous said...

ohh the first picture is beautiful.

LadyRed said...

Anonymous: Thanks ; )

a cat of impossible color: Sacrelige is right!! I bet it's painful to see it there! A little trickery may be in order... Look dad, I bought you a new TV table for christmas! Now about that trunk...

emma: thank you very much! I took it at the end of the night and I was a little delirious. I'm glad you like it!

Eileen Chong said...

what a wonderful inheritance. this sounds like a poem in the making.